Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's A Wonderful Life

Happy Holidays to one and all. I don't care if you decide to shop or not. Give gifts or not. Buy a real tree or a fake tree or no tree at all. Celebrate or not. Just be safe out there.

Hats off to football's Hall of Famer Sammy Baugh, who died today.

Excerpt from A Country Rag (http://www.acountryrag.org/mainfram.html): "I first met Logan when I lived in Arizona, at a poetry gathering on the Arizona/Mexico border. Since then I’ve had the pleasure of seeing him perform on several occasions. Logan is a passionate, intelligent, and well-educated man who graduated Northern Arizona University where he majored in Spanglish Linguistics. After college he lived in LA where he competed in the slam poetry movement. Recently he toured the world with his three-man group, Verbobala. More recently he spent the last few months in Costa Rico where he ran a youth hostel for the season. Prior to his hostel work he taught 4th graders in Mexico City, MX. An interesting guy."

What does a country girl living in the 'burbs do in the winter?
1. Stare longingly at the garden.
2. Play with the cats more.
3. Begin sewing projects.
4. Decant tinctures made this past summer.
5. Makes soaps, candles and potpourri from stored summer herbs.
6. Ride the stationary bike.
7. Read more.
8. Work on the annual taxes.
9. Paint.
10. Scrapbook.

With Christmas roaring up toward me, I've realized I still have work to do. A ham to buy. We have fireworks to set off on Christmas Eve. The kids and their kids will be here. We'll sing and dance to Holiday music we hear Sirrius Radio.

With the year closing out, I start thinking about what I want to accomplish next year...and what I've managed to accomplish this past year. I'm always surprised at how much I did in one year. So next year I'm setting my sights higher. Whatever I did this year that made me feel good about myself ~ that's what I'm going to do more of. More work to help other people, more work to increase my knowledge base, more painting and design, more writing, more encouragement to other artists. More.

And what do I want back out of 2009?

More.
Independence