Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Gift of A Smile

A month ago I had my top teeth replaced. I didn’t have much choice; my teeth were badly damaged by medications and TMJ, with a little heredity thrown in. So we bit the bullet as we forked over way too much money for replacement teeth. It would be easy to regret the expense in today’s woeful financial market if it weren’t for one thing: the gift of a smile.

What I mean by that is that I’ve been given the gift of a smile. Knowing my teeth are very white and very pretty, I smile at everybody. I grin, I say “hey.” And the change that comes over peoples’ faces is amazing. That positive change in other people is the gift I’m getting every day.

Along those lines, Mark Stibich, Ph.D. tells us there are many reasons to smile. “Smiling is a great way to make yourself stand out while helping your body to function better.” Dr. Stibich gives the following advice in his column on About.com: (http://longevity.about.com/od/lifelongbeauty/tp/smiling.htm).

Smiling Changes Your Mood
Next time you are feeling down, try putting on a smile. There's a good chance you mood will change for the better. Smiling can trick the body into helping you change your mood.

Smiling is Contagious
When someone is smiling they lighten up the room, change the moods of others, and make things happier. A smiling person brings happiness with them. Smile lots and you will draw people to you.

Smiling Boosts Your Immune System
Smiling helps the immune system to work better. When you smile, immune function improves possibly because you are more relaxed. Prevent the flu and colds by smiling.

Smiling Lowers Your Blood Pressure
When you smile, there is a measurable reduction in your blood pressure. Give it a try if you have a blood pressure monitor at home. Sit for a few minutes, take a reading. Then smile for a minute and take another reading while still smiling. Do you notice a difference?

Smiling Releases Endorphins, Natural Pain Killers and Serotonin
Studies have shown that smiling releases endorphins, natural pain killers, and serotonin. Together these three make us feel good. Smiling is a natural drug.

Smiling Makes You Seem Successful
Smiling people appear more confident, are more likely to be promoted, and more likely to be approached. Put on a smile at meetings and appointments and people will react to you differently.

Smiling Makes You Attractive.
We are drawn to people who smile. There is an attraction factor. We want to know a smiling person and figure out what is so good. Frowns, scowls and grimaces all push people away -- but a smile draws them in.

Smiling Helps You Stay Positive
Try this test: Smile. Now try to think of something negative without losing the smile. It's hard. When we smile our body is sending the rest of us a message that "Life is Good!" Stay away from depression, stress and worry by smiling.

I can personally attest to all of the above comments. Since I’ve acquired a beautiful smile, my life has changed. My health has improved and I’m more socially confident. I’m not sure how many smiles I’ll have to smile in order to amortize the cost, but I’ve made a good start by keeping a smile on my face.

So I’m issuing a 14-day challenge: For the next two weeks, smile constantly. Smile at the postman, the sales clerk, your waitress. Smile at your family. Smile till your face hurts. Smile when you’re alone. Improve your health, your social life, maybe even your bowling score. Give yourself the gift of a smile.
Independence