Sunday, January 25, 2009

Keep On Keepin On

I appreciate the messages I get thanking me for this blog. Yes, times are hard and bound to get harder, but you know what? We are still alive. We can enjoy food and each other and art and nature. Every day when I wake up and see light in my room I have the greatest feeling of peace and happiness. That kind of happiness isn’t dependent on who is president (though it helps) or whether or not I’m broke. I’m just glad to keep on keepin’ on.

As a reminder that life is a hoot and there’s a laugh around every corner, check out this statue of Nathan Bedford Forest. Putting this blurb about the statue doesn’t mean I support Forest or the Klan or their ilk. But I do laugh when I pass the statue surrounded by Confederate flags. The flags are tattered and almost nonexistent, raised on about a dozen flag poles surrounding the statue.

Brentwood - Nashville, Tennessee - Nathan Bedford Forrest tribute
“Very ugly, large fiberglass statue of General Nathaniel Bedford Forrest on his horse, former Confederate general AND founder of the Ku Klux Klan. Statue is surrounded by a large display of Confederate flags. The entire thing stands on a strip of privately held land right next to Interstate 65-S in Nashville, Tenn. This statue has been shot at and repaired—a real politically incorrect eyesore for the city. Owner is a wealthy elderly attorney in Nashville who proudly defends the statue and his right to have it there. It really looks like a cartoon statue. [Sue, 02/10/2001]”
[RA: Yes, it's as if the colorful Civil War general tumbled out of some horrific, injection mold nightmare. Here's a 2004 photo by Justin Bird.] http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/3289


Independence