Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Independence Days Challenge


Planted: This weekend I’ll plant some cold weather greens. They will grow in the garage prior to transplanting to the fenced yard.

Harvested: Greek Oregano, Rosemary

Prepped: We’ve laid out three gardening beds in the back yard. Each one is edged with wood and covered in three feet of rotting leaves. I covered each bed with landscape cloth so the leaves could continue to decompose. In Spring I’ll turn the leaves under with the roto-tiller. This helps enrich the soil and makes for fantastic produce.


Managed: Pantry/Larder management is a big part of food storage. Many of the women in my group have organized and highly efficient tracking systems for their stored foods. My inventory shows me short on tomato products which I’ll reup on at the next sale.

Recycled/Reused: We still take our recycling to the center. I reuse most plastic containers for painting and crafts.

Stored: Jars of pasta sauce, canned pineapple

Cooked something new: We’ve been cooking from food storage so using dried instead of fresh or canned is a new experience for me. My coop offers free cooking classes, so I'll be taking a class from them on Feb 21st. Also the Whole Foods store in Nashville has a great cooking series that I'll be participating in this semester.

Support Local Food Systems: I’m making up my coop order for March. I ordered two bread baking pans and a pizza pan, a yogurt cheese cookbook, radish and black sunflower sprouting seeds, and tons of spelt pasta in different forms.
Independence